5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Ipswich, Massachusetts Vital Records
Births - Deaths - Marriages
1635 - 1849
Order item B141
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The book's full text of 1,058 pages has been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge.
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
The town of Ipswich was established on Aug. 5, 1634, from common land called Agawam. On Oct. 18, 1648, that portion called the "Village" at the New Meadows was set off as Topsfield. The boundary line between Ipswich and Topsfield was established, Feb. 28, 1694. A part of Ipswich was annexed to Rowley, Nov. 29, 1785. That portion known as the "Hamlet" was set off as the town of Hamilton, June 21, 1793. Chebacco parish was set off and established as the town of Essex, Feb. 15, 1819. On Mar. 7, 1846, a part of Ipswich was annexed to Boxford. Boundary lines in tidewater between Ipswich and Essex and Ipswich and Gloucester were established Apr. 19, 1892.
The following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in many private records found in family Bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Ipswich and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double-dating is used in the months of January, February and March, prior to 1752, whenever it appears in the original, and also whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed, and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
Many baptisms appear on the town records, between 1700 and 1800, in some cases supplementing a family record in which several of the births are missing. In the following pages these are incorporated and treated as town records.
In the eighteenth century marriages, "Mrs." is often used to indicate mistress, an unmarried woman, instead of a widow, as at the present time.
In the Chebacco and Hamlet parishes during the early part of the eighteenth century, intentions of marriage, which do not appear on the town books, were entered on the church books.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved