5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Boxford, Massachusetts Vital Records
Births, Deaths, & Marriages
Transcribed from the microfilmed pages of the original books.
To pay with your credit card - click on the "Buy Now" button
Order item B441
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM)
The book is 214 pages, NOT indexed, names listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
All of the birth, marriage, and death records found in the original town record books have been included in this book.
1. The fact that a birth, marriage, or death is recorded in Boxford does not prove that it occurred in this town; but when places other than Boxford and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy.
2. In all items from town records the original spelling is followed, and no attempt is made to correct errors appearing in the records.
3. The various spellings of a name should be examined, as items about the same family or individual may be found under different spellings.
4. A baptism is not printed, if it occurs within one year after the recorded date of birth of a child of the same name and parents or if it is clear that the child baptized is identical with the child of the birth record; but variations found in the baptismal record are added to the birth record.
5. The birth of a married woman is recorded under her maiden name, if it is known. But if the maiden name cannot be determined, the entry appears under the husband's name, with a dash enclosed in brackets, i.e., [______], to signify that the maiden name is unknown. If it is not known whether the surname is that of a married or unmarried woman, ? m. is placed in brackets after the Christian name.
6. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. When both the marriage and intention of marriage are recorded, only the marriage record is printed; and where a marriage appears without the intention being recorded, it is designated with an asterisk.
7. Additional information which does not appear in the original text of an item, i.e., any explanation, query, inference, or difference shown in other entries of the record, is bracketed. Parentheses are used to show variations in the spelling of a name in the same entry, to indicate the maiden name of a wife, to enclose an imperfect portion of the original text, and to separate clauses in the original text.
The territory now included within the limits of Boxford was originally a part of Rowley and was known as "Rowley Village" before its incorporation as a town. The General Court at a session held August 12, 1685 received the following agreement : "The inhabitants of Rowley Village desiring to be a township, wee, whose names are vnderwritten, being a comittee chosen by ye Toune of Rowley, have consented that they should be a touneship, provided the honord Court see cause to grant their request. Wee, desiring also that the honnored Gennerall Court would be pleased to confirme the lyne wee haue agreed vpon betwixt the toune of Rowley & the village; and so your humble servants remajne," etc., etc. and on the same day, "The Court, on the certifficat of the comittee and the bounds, agree for the ljne betweene Rowley and the village vnder their hands, judge meet to grant the peticoners request, provided the bounds thereof intrench not on other tounes or former grants."
The town is supposed to have been named for Boxford, County of Berkshire, England, the birthplace of Rev. Samuel Phillips, the minister at Rowley.
June 20, 1728, part of the town was included within the limits of the new town of Middleton.
June 10, 1808, part of Rowley was annexed.
March 7, 1846, part of Ipswich was annexed.
March 21, 1856, part of the town was annexed to Groveland.
April 15, 1897, part of the town was annexed to Georgetown.
The population of Boxford at different periods eras as follows:1765, 851. 1800, 852. 1840, 942.
1776, 989. 1810, 880. 1850, 932.
1790, 925. 1820, 906. 1900, 704.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved