5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Order item B263
FORMAT: PRINT ONLY
The book is 142 pages, NOT indexed, names listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $23.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
The Records of Auburn have a close and important relation to those of Worcester, Leicester, Sutton and Oxford, towns prominent in the history of the early settlement of central Massachusetts.
Especially are these Records supplementary to the Town Records of Worcester, which have been edited and printed in full by the Trustee of the Systematic History Fund, and they may be considered in reality a continuation of the work which was comprehended in a plan formed by him for the practical development of the original historical material of this section.
With the exception of brief sketches in narrative form, comprised in certain general works, nothing in the shape of a town history of Auburn has been printed. Its Records are in a fair state of preservation, but accessible only to those who are on the ground. This first publication presents the full personal record (which in every case is the true foundation of local history) so far as it can be gathered from the town books, and added to this are the inscriptions from the two older burial grounds in the town, all in systematized form for reference.
The Town of Auburn was originally set off from Worcester, Sutton, Leicester and Oxford, and was incorporated on the 10th of April, 1778, with the name of Ward, in honor of General Artemas Ward, of Shrewsbury, a man of great prominence in this region. Active as a patriot during the difficulties that caused the separation from the mother country, and receiving on the eve of hostilities the appointment of First Major General in the Revolutionary Army. He was at a later period, Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, and afterwards served in Congress. He died in 1800 at the age of seventy-three.
A Precinct was organized at this place July 27th, 1773, called the South Parish of Worcester, and three years later the church was formed. In 1777, Rev. Isaac Bailey became the first pastor.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage