5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
History of the Town of Wellesley, Massachusetts
1636 - 1916
By Joseph E. Fiske (Boston, 1916)
Order item B903
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The book's full text of 108 pages has been converted to PDF images which are searchable using the Reader's "FIND" feature. There is no index.
Priced at $8.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered.)
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
In addition to the usual material contained in a town history, of special interest to researchers will be the chapter "Genealogies of Some of the Older Residents of the Town."
The history of the town of Wellesley is necessarily brief as the town was incorporated as late as April 6, 1881. It was, until that time, a part of the town of Needham (incorporated in 1711), and previous to that its territory was included within the limits of Dedham.
In 1635 the general court then sitting at Newtowne (now Cambridge) granted a tract of land south of the Charles River to twelve men. In 1636 nineteen men, including the original twelve, petitioned the general court then at Boston for all the land south of the Charles River and above the fails and a tract five miles square north of the Charles. This land includes what is now Dedham, Wrentham, Needham, Wellesley, Walpole, Bellingham, Franklin, Dover, Natick and a part of Sherborn.
On the 28th of September, 1638, several men were sent out from Dedham to "discover the river" above the town. They returned on the 10th of October, having gone perhaps ten miles along its course.
In 1643 Major Eleazer Lusher and Lieutenant Daniel Fisher laid out the tract of land which includes Needham, Natick, Wellesley and a portion of Sherborn.
The northern bounds of the plantation were fixed by order of the general court in day 1639, when the southern line of Watertown was stated to run to "Partition Point" and so upon the same point still 'till it be from their meeting house eight miles, and this line was set up as the bounds between Dedham and Watertown until Dedham shall have taken in the five miles square granted them, "so as it shall not run within two miles of Goljchawicke Ponds." The line was run by Mr. Oliver. Watertown had accepted against Dedham's claim to land or the north two years before, and not until May, 1651, was the matter settled between the two towns, when a committee of both towns met and agreed upon the line, "beginning at Partition Point and so to run straight west, something inclining toward the south."
This line runs West 13 South, and is in length 993 rods between Weston, which was set off from Watertown, January 1, 1712.
This line became the northern line of Needham when that precinct was set off from Dedham, November 5, 1711, and the north line of Wellesley when that town was set off from Needham, April 6, 1831.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2012 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved