5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Newbury, Massachusetts Vital Records
Births, Deaths, & Marriages
1710 - 1850
Order item B432
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The full text of 866 pages of Volumes 1 and 2 has been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
EXPLANATIONSThe following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in many private records found in family Bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Newbury and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. In all records the original spelling of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
As Newbury and Newburyport have been so closely connected, both socially and geographically, it will be desirable to examine the records of both towns when making researches. Byfield parish is included in these records, and on account of its close proximity to Rowley may contain records of Rowley families not given elsewhere.
The original book of records beginning about 1640 was copied in 1690 by Henry Short, the town clerk. The original has been followed in these pages, any changes or additions occurring in Short's record being so indicated.
Newberry Plantation was settled and incorporated in 1635. The Rev. Thomas Parker and a group of approximately 100 pioneers from Wiltshire, England sailed from the Thames River aboard the ship Mary and John, first landing in Agawam (now Ipswich) in 1634. They arrived the next spring at the Quascacunquen River, now the Parker River. A commemorative stone marks the spot where they stepped ashore. The site had once been a village of the Pawtucket Indians, who hunted, fished or farmed. Many settlers would do the same. In 1791, 3,000 head of cattle grazed town lands, or on the region's abundant salt marsh hay. Other trades included tanning and shipbuilding. Newbury originally included Newburyport, set off in 1764, and West Newbury, set off in 1819.
Quascancunquen means waterfall, referring to the falls where Center Street crosses the Parker River. In 1636, the first water powered mill was established at the falls. Gristmills and sawmills were built, and in 1794, the first textile mill in Massachusetts. At Byfield in 1763 was founded the nation's first preparatory school, Dum'r Charity School, later Governor Dummer Academy, and now The Governor's Academy. It was also site of the first female seminary, founded in 1807. Byfield developed into a mill village, and once had six water powered mills, manufacturing various products from woolens to snuff. James Steam Mills was established in 1844. In 1845, 45,000 pairs of shoes were produced.
The railroad entered the community in 1850, carrying freight but also tourists, helping Plum Island develop into a Victorian seaside resort. Back on the mainland, silver was discovered in a large field in 1878, and the Chipman Silver Mine would begin operations until it finally closed in 1925. By 1905, however, the economy had shifted to back to agriculture, and Newbury became a supplier of eggs, milk and poultry. Some would dig for clams or hay the salt marshes. The town is today primarily residential, with much fine antique architecture.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved