5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Lynn, Massachusetts Vital Records
Births, Deaths, & Marriages
to the end of 1849
Order item B491
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The book's full text of 1,054 pages has been converted to PDF images which are not searchable. However, the text is large and names are easily located. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional item ordered.)
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
The records of births, marriages and deaths in this book include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks ; in the church records ; in the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court ; in the cemetery inscriptions ; and in many private records found in family Bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Lynn and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double-dating is used in the months of January, February and March, prior to 1752, whenever it appears in the original and also whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings. The vital records kept by the Salem Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends, which are now in the custody of the Lynn Meeting, include the entire district, and while these records have been separated and credited to their respective towns when specifically stated, this fact should be always considered.
Several of the earlier Lewis families, whose names appear on the original records, and which were presumably written by Alonzo Lewis while town clerk, properly belong to Rumney Marsh, now Chelsea.
According to Rev. Samuel Danforth's almanac for 1647 the settlement at Lynn began as early as 1629. These settlers are supposed to have come from Salem, and their number was greatly augmented in 1630, at the time of the arrival of Winthrop and his company. Governor Dudley says that some of the passengers settled " upon the river of Saugus." The early name of this locality was Saugus, and its freemen were admitted as members of the General Court in 1630. It was not until Nov. 20, 1637, that the present name was mentioned in the Colonial records, when it was recorded "Saugust is called Lin." The name was given in compliment to Rev. Samuel Whiting, the first minister, who had formerly lived in Lynn, Norfolk County, England. On May 29, 1644, part of the territory was included within the limits of the new town of Reading. On July 3, 1782, a part of Lynn was established as the district of Lynnfield, and on Feb. 17, 1815, another part as the town of Saugus. Lynn was incorporated as a city, Apr. 10, 1850.
The population of Lynn at different periods was as follows:
1765, 2198. 1800, 2837. 1840, 9367.
1776, 2755. 1810, 4087. 1850, 14257.
1790, 2291. 1820, 4515. 1900, 68513.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2007 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved