5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
A History of Framingham, Massachusetts,
Including the Plantation, from 1640 to 1847;
With an Appendix Containing a Notice of Sudbury & Its First Proprietors.
Also, A Register of the Inhabitants of Framingham Before 1800;
With Genealogical Sketches.
By William Barry, Boston, Mass., 1847
Order item B574
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required
in order to view this books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader
program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear
in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software
program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
Early History of Framingham
|1630||Connecticut Indians bring grain to the starving Massachusetts Bay Colony along a trail now known as the Old Connecticut Path, Framingham's oldest road.|
|1633||John Oldham leads a group of explorers along the Connecticut Path, becoming the first Englishmen to set foot on the land that would become Framingham.|
|1640||The first land grant, 600 acres on the east side of Lake Cochituate, is awarded to the widow of Rev. Josse Glover. The land is not immediately occupied for settlement or farming.|
|1647||John Stone sells his Sudbury property and moves his family to the west side of the Sudbury River, at what is now Saxonville. He becomes Framingham's first settler.|
|1660, Oct. 10||Thomas Danforth, an official of the Bay Colony and Harvard College, receives 250 acres of land in payment for his services. Danforth will accumulate over 15,000 acres and name the land Framingham after the town of his birth in England where it is spelled Framlingham.|
|1676, Feb. 1||During the Indian uprising known as King Philip's War the remote farm of the Eames family on Mount Wayte is attacked. Mary Eames and several children are slain in the Eames Massacre.|
|1693, Mar. 2||The first petition to incorporate Framingham as a town is submitted to the General Court and denied. Thomas Danforth was opposed.|
|1693, spring||The first of several families persecuted by the Salem witch hunt of 1692 arrive at Framingham Plantation and settle in an area to become known as Salem End.|
|1699, Nov. 5||Thomas Danforth dies, opening the way for those residents who want to organize a town government.|
|1700, June 5||Danforth's Farms are incorporated as the Town of Framingham. The first Town Meeting is held on August 5. The meetinghouse was located in the Old Burying Ground on Main Street.|
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage