5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Vital Records of Andover, Massachusetts
Births, Marriages & Deaths to 1850
Order item B146 - Volume 1, BirthsFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 263 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $43.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B147 - Volume 2, MarriagesFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 235 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $35.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $2.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B267 - Volume 3, DeathsFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 154 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $24.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $2.50 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B146.1 - Volumes 1, 2 & 3 - Births, Marriages & DeathsFORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
All three book's full texts - 652 pages - have been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge.
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
The records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in private records found in family Bibles, etc. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks’ record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a married woman.
When places other than Andover and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double dating is used in the months of January, February and March, prior to 1752, whenever it appears in the original and also, whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
The register of deaths in the South Parish, between 1710 and 1771, referred to in the Historical Manual of the South Church published in 1859, has not been found.
The town clerk’s records, Book II, 1701-1800, are badly worn, and portions of many of the entries in the first hundred pages are missing, thus accounting for the frequent use of the word torn and the dash.
The gravestone records are from copies of gravestones made in October, 1864 by Alfred Poore, M.D. and now in possession of the Essex Institute.
The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many of its settlers.
A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge, and the same day the Court granted that the five or six hundred acres laid out by Rowley, without their line near Andover town, should belong to Andover.
The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.
Feb. 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established Apr. 22, 1904.
The town of Andover is located in Essex County, the most northerly county in the eastern part of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Andover is about twentythree miles north of the state capital, Boston. Located on the banks of the Merrimack River, Andover is bordered on the north by the city of Lawrence and the town of North Andover, on the east by the town of North Reading, on the south by the towns of Tewksbury and Wilmington and on the west by the towns of Dracut and Methuen. The Town has 31.99 square miles of land area.
Andover was originally settled in 1636 under the Indian name of Cochicewick, a waterway in the region. The community was incorporated in 1646 as the Town of Andover, named after a town in England where many of the settlers had come from.
From the early days of the town, manufacturing was a major concern. The region's first powder mill was established in 1775; the manufacture of paper began in 1789; and in the early nineteenth century, woolen mills, a major New England industry of the era, were constructed. While all of these types of manufacturing have since moved elsewhere, Andover continues to attract major industry.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage